Boasting 361 rooms, The Vinoy opened on New Year’s Eve in 1925 and still stands stately in downtown St. Petersburg
The Vinoy Renaissance Celebrates 90th Anniversary With “90 Years An Icon”
Comments | Print friendly | Subscribe | Email Us
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club invites guests to toast to St. Petersburg’s yesteryears, as the resort celebrates 90 years of iconic hospitality and heritage with the “90 Years an Icon” getaway for two, starting at $1,925 for a two-night stay now – Dec. 31, 2015. From being the only hotel picked in the destination by Veuve Clicquot to host a Halloween Masquerade full of specialty dishes, live music and local libations to a New Years Eve Gala commemorating The Vinoy’s 90th anniversary, the resort is celebrating all year long.
90 YEARS AN ICON PACKAGE
- Two-night accommodations
- Celebratory welcome basket
- Daily breakfast for two at Marchand’s with a mouth-watering selection from Lemon Soufflé Pancakes to Grilled Steak & Eggs
- Personal history tour with resort historian
- 1925 chef table dinner experience for two including a six-course meal and wine pairings of Executive Chef Heimann’s choice
- Two tickets to historic Little Theater, also celebrating its 90th anniversary - the oldest operating community theatre in the state
- Two tickets to the Chihuly Collection and Morean Arts Center Hot Shop to experience glass blowing
- $192.50 resort credit for two ($385 total) to be used towards spa, golf, dining or other amenities
- 1,925 Marriott Rewards Points
Boasting 361 rooms, The Vinoy opened on New Year’s Eve in 1925 and still stands stately in downtown St. Petersburg – recently recognized as a top destination by Travel + Leisure and Conde Nast Traveler – transporting guests to the roaring twenties through its Mediterranean Revival architecture blended with modern elegance (think bold colors and artwork by world renowned artist Dale Chihuly.) In its iconic 90 years, the downtown masterpiece, ideally situated overlooking Tampa Bay, attracted the crème da la crème, from aristocrats and artists to celebrities and socialites. In modern day, visitors and locals alike sip a cocktail on the rocking chair front porch or enjoy the 72-slip marina, 18-hole private golf course, 12-court tennis complex, 5,000 sq. ft. fitness center, five restaurants and a salon and day spa. It’s no wonder politicos, corporate high rollers and celebrities alike are so attracted to this historic entity. Harkening back to the hotel heritage, the most famous moments in history include:
- It all started with a party, a bet and a game of golf in 1923, when legendary PGA champion Walter Hagen drove several golf balls off the face of his host’s most prized pocket watch. The wager: whether the watch’s crystal would survive Hagen’s powerful drive. It did, and the golf balls landed on a residential waterfront property which party guests suggested their host, Aymer Vinoy Laughner, purchase and build a grand resort.
- The Vinoy’s lush Tea Garden once played host to Marilyn Monroe, as it was one of her favorite spots on property for a stroll.
- Former President Calvin Coolidge was often spotted at The Vinoy, where he would choose to dine with the employees in the Employee Mess Hall rather than at the on-property restaurant.
- Playing the role of “home base” for the opponents of local Tampa Bay Rays, The Vinoy often hosted baseball legends such as Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio.
- Ceasing operations in the early 1940s, The Vinoy housed the U.S. Army Air Force and the U.S. Maritime Service as a training center for military cooks and bakers. The hotel also served as a haven for SWAT team trainings throughout the 1980s. To this day, The Vinoy staircases proudly display their boot prints.
For more information on the 90th anniversary celebration or to book the 90 Years an Icon package, call The Renaissance Vinoy Resort & Golf Club at 1-888-303-4430 or visit www.vinoyrenaissanceresort.com.