Company to complete 30 real estate projects in month of October
Walmart Canada embarks on biggest month of grand openings
Comments | Print friendly | Subscribe | Email Us
MISSISSAUGA, ON, —Walmart Canada announced today it will embark on its biggest month of grand openings in its history. By the end of October, the company will complete 30 real estate projects. They include two supercentre conversions and 28 new stores, which were formerly Zellers stores. Of the 28 Zellers locations, 10 will be supercentres and 18 will be discount stores. The 30 stores employ more than 3,000 associates and represent an addition of nearly 2.4 million square feet of retail space.
“This is an exciting month for Walmart Canada,” said Jim Thompson, chief operations officer at Walmart Canada. “We are Canada’s fastest growing retailer and our 30 openings in October demonstrate our commitment to bringing every day low prices to Canadians from coast-to-coast.”
The 30 projects are part of 73 real estate projects planned for the company’s current fiscal year, which will add 4.6 million square feet of retail space to its operations by January 31, 2013. These projects represent an investment of more than $750 million in Canadian communities and will generate more than 14,000 store, trade and construction jobs.
As of October 31, the company will have completed 50 of the 73 real estate projects planned for the year bringing the company’s store count to 367 stores: 193 supercentres and 174 discount stores.
The 30 projects listed by province are:
- Calgary, Deer Valley Shopping Centre, 1221 Canyon Meadows Drive SE
- Edmonton, Meadowlark Shopping Centre, 100 Meadowlark Shopping Centre NW
- Edmonton, Northgate Centre, 9402-135th Ave. NW
- Edmonton, South Park Centre, 3931 Calgary Trail NW
Prince Rupert, Rupert Square Shopping Centre, 500-2nd Ave. W.
- Collingwood, ON, 10 Cambridge St.
- Hamilton, County Fair Plaza, 499 Mohawk Rd. E.
- Hawkesbury, Hawkesbury Gateway Shopping Centre, 1550 Cameron St.
- Kitchener, Stanley Park Mall, 1005 Ottawa St. N.
- Listowel, Carriage Shopping Centre, 600 Mitchell Ave. S.
- Oshawa, Kingsway Village, 1300 King St. E.
- Peterborough, Parkway Centre, 950 Lansdowne St. W.
- Sault-Ste-Marie, Station Mall, 293 Bay St.
- Scarborough, Cedarbrae Mall, 3487 Lawrence Ave. E.
- St. Catharines (Centre), Fairview Mall, 285 Geneva St.
- Toronto , Sheridan Mall, 2202 Jane St.
- Thunder Bay, ON, County Fair Mall, 1020 Dawson Rd.
- Waterloo, Bridgeport Plaza, 70 Bridgeport Rd. E.
- Saint John, Lancaster Mall, 621 Fairville Blvd.
- Dartmouth, Colby Village Plaza, 900 Cole Harbour Rd.
- Greenwood, 1065 Central Ave.
- North Sydney, North Sydney Mall, 116 King St.
- Longueuil, Place Desormeaux, 2877, chemin de Chambly
- Montréal (Hochelaga), Centre Commercial Domaine, 3121, avenue de Granby
- Montréal, Plaza Côte-des-Neiges, 6700, chemin de la Côte-des-Neiges
- Pincourt, Le Faubourg de I’Île, 101, boulevard Cardinal-Léger
- Pointe-aux-Trembles, Carrefour de la Pointe, 12675, rue Sherbrooke Est Sherbrooke (Fleurimont), Les Galeries Quatre Saisons, 940, 13e avenue Nord
- Sorel-Tracy, Les Promenades de Sorel, 450, boulevard Poliquin
- Saint-Léonard, Carrefour Langelier, 7445, boulevard Langelier
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates a growing chain of discount stores and supercentres with more than 335 locations nationwide serving more than one million customers each day. With nearly 90,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada’s largest employers and is recognized by Waterstone Human Capital as having one of Canada’s top 10 corporate cultures. Walmart Canada is focused on helping Canadian families in need. Since 1994, Walmart has donated and raised more than $160 million to Canadian charities and not-for-profit organizations.
Additional company information can be found at http://www.walmartcanada.ca/ www.f,acebook.com/walmartcanada and at http://www.twitter.com/@walmartcanada Onlin.e merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.ca.